Free service can help with HMRC disputes

HMRC has announced, following a trial period, the Alternative Dispute Resolution service. This can be used in cases where taxpayers are in dispute with HMRC to help with trying to settle by using a mediator, who often will be in a separate office and will not have had any involvement with the case.

This service is open to all tax payers, but cannot be used if dispute is about an overpayment of tax. It can be used either where an assessment has been made or where no assessment has yet been raised. Application is online and the response period is 30 days.

This is a free service, so could prove a valuable service to those who feel they can’t resolve their dispute with HMRC.